Saturday, June 6, 2009

some snags

It's been a little while since I've done any writing for my book. There are a couple reasons for this.

1) I've found that when I'm reading a book outside the genre of what I'm writing, my writing becomes less interesting to me. When I'm reading the same genre, I find my writing fascinating, lol! My two favorite genres are contemporary/women's fiction (which is what I'm writing) and mystery/thriller which is extremely different. I try to vary them but I guess most recently I've read mysteries and this has taken my interest away a little from writing.

2) I got to a point in my writing where I realized I don't exactly know what would happen in real life. I am at a scene where they are at the hospital. While I know some of the medical information necessary to the story, I don't know what the nurses would say to each other, to the doctors, or to the patients! I had initially planned on showing this scene rather than just mentioning it, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to change that up a little. That and I also decided that what I currently have for the first chapter should probably not be the very first thing, so I'm contemplating adding a prologue. These little thoughts have overwhlemed me a little, but I need to climb over them and get back to writing! Without actually writing, I'll never finish!

And here's another thing I've been thinking about. Different authors have different methods for writing their books. Some just write and let the characters take them where they will, but others are very methodical and write out detailed outlines for the entire book. I had a minimal outline in my head that I would add to during solitary moments. But now that I'm in the process of writing, I think I may be one who needs to make a more concrete outline. This might give me more confidence in that I'll know I have more to write about when I get to the end of the page or scene. So I may be taking the next couple days to focus more on outlining than actually writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment